22 March 2010

Keeping Track- what's new in my world

  1. United Airlines delivered the package I left on the plane; my God-daughter’s birthday present. I can now mail it to her- 3 weeks late, but better late then never.
  2. The plot to my current short story The Way Out Is Through is coming along nicely; I’m trying to rein in the craziness of the main character.
  3. Saturday I received a rejection letter from the New Yorker regarding my short story The Plan B. I only sent it to them 4 years ago when I lived in Milwaukee Wisconsin. How they found me in the state of Oregon is beyond me.
  4. Saturday I also received two acceptance letters from two literary agents who want to help me publish my book of poetry. I only sent samples to them a week earlier. No more the gullible person, the quick receipt of acceptance letters raised not one but two eyebrows. Of course, they were asking for money upfront. These were the two agents I had forgotten to google ‘(their name or name of company) + complaints’ before considering them.
  5. A third friend who keeps asking me when when when will I ever get married, failed to tell me she’s going through her 3rd divorce. I saw her husband at the mall this weekend, holding another woman’s hand, and he told me she was cheating on him and hid a very bad cocaine habit from him.
  6. I’ve learned a lot about myself from watching the movie “Broken English”. I actually feel enlightened every time I watch it.
  7. My God-daughter’s mom appreciates the old-fashioned way of communication, via hand-written letters, and so I’ve been trying to write her a letter by hand. But it’s so easy (and quicker) to type something and send it off, but I’m trying!
  8.  God woke me up this morning, so evidently He’s still got plans for me.
  9.  Some of my friends have been swallowed up by the real world and are currently AWOL. I think, when they come up for air, I'll be AWOL as well.
  10.  I've been hitting the gym seven days a week. Though I’m the only black man I see at the gym each evening, and though the woman at the front desk loves to pronounce my first name, she still studies the face on my Id every evening, to be sure it’s me, as if it's the first time she's seen me.

2 comments:

Don said...

Friends often give advice about marriage even after they've failed, sometimes that advice is good, sometimes bad. But third divorce? LOL. I don't know if this should be the person to speak on hurry up and get married.


Literary agents - I never had to deal with one. But since I was dropped last year I have a feeling I might end up reaching out to one.

Vibe Magazine has sent me so many rejection letters. I almost thought they were bills, how they always seem to make their destination.


Yes. My daughter and I write poems to one another and send thru the mail. I absolutely cherish this, til this day.

Daij said...

LOL @ your comment about Vibe magazine. Your corresponding with your daughter via poetry- that is the coolest thing I've heard. I would do the same thing, when/if I have a daughter. No one in my family appreciates poetry.